Software for Automatic Determination of Optimum Trim Line and Blank Outline
AutoForm-Trimplus in combination with AutoForm-Solverplus is an essential tool for the determination of blank outlines and for the tryout of trimming dies used to find the optimum trim line. The software enables users to design trimming tools simultaneously with the draw die.
The figure illustrates: Drawn part with trim line; Trimmed part; Restricken part with the desired part boundary (yellow) and trim line before initial AutoForm-Trimplus iteration (gray); Restricken part with the desired part boundary and trim line after final AutoForm-Trimplus iteration.
Optimum trim line is necessary for multi-operation stamping process. The trim line is optimized to ensure that the desired shape and dimensions of the part boundary are obtained at the end of those operations which follow the trimming operation. AutoForm-Trimplus automatically adjusts the trim line to remove or add sheet metal until the desired part boundary is achieved.
Optimum blank outline is necessary for near-net-shape manufacturing (crash forming). The blank outline is optimized to ensure that the desired shape and dimensions of the part boundary are obtained at the end of the crash forming process. The advantage of AutoForm-Trimplus over an inverse one-step simulation, which can also be used to find the blank outline, is the consideration of not only one, but several forming steps and results in much greater accuracy.
The main benefits of AutoForm-Trimplus are:
- Rapidly determines the optimum trim line and blank outline
- Saves time and costs by allowing the trim die to be developed simultaneously with the draw die, thus enabling concurrent engineering
- Shortens the design cycle for the complete tool set
- Reduces laser-trim tryout time for complex parts – typically saving several days
The main features of AutoForm-Trimplus are:
- Automatically determines the blank outline for near-net-shape manufacturing (crash forming)
- Automatically calculates multiple blank outlines (e.g. when there are several target boundaries in the form of hole contours or inner cut contours in the blank)
- Calculates customer-specified (local) segments of the blank or cut outline
- Simultaneously determines all cut-out lines for several cutting operations, during one trim tryout
This product may practice one or more of the following patents owned by or available to AutoForm Engineering GmbH, Switzerland: European patents 1290515, 1623287, 1665103, 1741012, US patents 7542889, 7623939, 7870792, 7885722, 7894929, 8155777, 8271118, 8280708, 8463583, 8478572 and JP patents 4633625, 4852420, 5102332, 5188803. Other European, other US and other JP patents pending.