Software for Efficient Planning of Hemming Processes
AutoForm-HemPlanner enables users to easily define and optimize hemming processes. The software allows for the identification of defects associated with these processes, such as splits or wrinkles in the flange, material overlaps in the corner areas or material roll-in. AutoForm-HemPlanner in combination with AutoForm-Solverplus forms an integrated solution for efficient planning of hemming processes.
With AutoForm-HemPlanner, the definition of the hemming processes is streamlined since it eliminates the need to design active faces of the tool based merely on experience and on costly trial and error principle. The accuracy of the hemming operation is very important as it affects the surface appearance and thus influences surface quality. AutoForm-HemPlanner supports both roll and conventional die hemming. Depending on the product development process phase, AutoForm-HemPlanner supports two use cases, namely quick and advanced hemming.
Quick hemming is used in the early stages of product development and production planning when the die layout of the drawing and forming operations is still not available. The CAD geometry of the flanged part provides the main input for simulation by AutoForm-Solverplus. The advantage of quick hemming is that multiple simulations can be run in order to rapidly evaluate various hemming concepts and possible geometry modifications that will result in manufacturable parts. Quick hemming also provides information which is necessary to determine the type of manufacturing equipment needed.
Advanced hemming is used in process engineering when the detailed definition of the drawing and forming operations is available. The accuracy of simulation results made by AutoForm-Solverplus is increased by taking into account the history of material deformation accumulated throughout the previous manufacturing operations. Advanced hemming is used to validate the selected hemming concept, calculate material roll-in and evaluate potential defects, such as splits within the flange, presence of wrinkles or material overlaps in corner areas.
Calculated material roll-in forms the basis for the compensation of forming tools and for any adjustments to be made on hemming equipment. When the hemming operation is fully verified and optimized, active surfaces of tools generated by AutoForm-HemPlanner can be exported into a CAD system in order to create tooling geometry in milling quality.
The main benefits of AutoForm-HemPlanner are:
- Efficient planning of hemming processes, which meet quality and cost requirements
- Effective implementation for early feasibility and final validation studies, choice of appropriate hemming technology and equipment, tool design and process planning
- Rapid identification of typical hemming defects, such as splits and wrinkles, as well as prediction of material roll-in
- Easy data exchange internally between different departments and externally between OEMs and suppliers
The main features of AutoForm-HemPlanner are:
- Support of roll and conventional die hemming
- Early evaluation of various hemming concepts based on CAD geometry of the flanged part (when the die layout of the drawing and forming operations is still not available) – use case quick hemming
- Final validation of the hemming concept by taking into account drawing and forming operations – use case advanced hemming
- Easy definition of tool geometry and tool kinematics; in particular, flexible options for tool geometry definition for conventional die hemming through the use of various profiles